05 August 2008

Small World!

Who should I run into on the web today but my very own half- sister! It kind of blew my mind a little. I was on the look-out for cute owls as a new tattoo idea I had this morning while NOT doing homework in the library. Who wants to do homework in the summer? "Not I" said the college student.

I have been thinking a lot lately about the whole business of keeping my last name or changing it whenever Steven and I take the plunge into official legal relationship status. Long, long, long story and there will most likely be a post about it on a new side-project blog I'm doing (more news to come). Either way, I've come to the conclusion that I can argue all day for my feminist views but every angle I look at it from I'm still keeping a man's name, right? It might at least be the name of a family I'm choosing for myself.

However, I still want to hold on to some bits of the identity I've always attached to my last name. My family has always been very big on Owls, most of the fixation coming from our last name: Wise. So I thought a tattoo of the owl variety would be a good way to remind myself of where I come from.

Anyways, sorry for the long and personal rant. I really just wanted to pass along my sister's website so that you could all take a gander. You really need to.

Be amazed at The Petticoat Pirate!

2 Remarks:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize until after the fact that I could've kept my maiden name in addition to my married name by doing what Caitlin did and moving my maiden name to a second middle name and then changing my last name to my married name. Why did I not have people telling me I could these things?! I dreaded changing my last name (mostly because I can't stand the Fulghum family for obvious reasons) so it took me a good 6 months to get around to it. That should've been plenty of time for someone to point out to me that I could have both names :-/ Too late now! Granted, I'm not particularly attached to either last name. I wanted Joshua and I to make up a new last name and both change so we could seperate ourselves completely from his family. But that stupid male ego of his got in the way... it also caused him to want me to have only his last name instead of still holding onto my maiden name. Guys!

Caitlin said...

I struggled with this a lot too, not exactly about taking his name, but about losing one of mine. So in the end I decided to take his, but not drop any of mine either. So I am legally Caitlin Nicole Beadle Nichols (with Nicole Beadle as my two middle names). Now I'm a part of his family, but I don't feel like I'm losing who I am.

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010