02 August 2008

Diet and Fertility

While I was at my local library this week I came across an old edition of Newsweek in the free magazine bin that had an article that caught my eye. The headline was Fertility & Diet (How what you eat affects your odds of getting pregnant), so naturally the magazine came home with me. I devoured it as soon as I got in the door. I was diagnosed with Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome at the age of 17. PCOS is kind of tricky but a lot of it has to do with diet and insulin. Since the appointment at 17 that changed my life when I was told having kids would be a challenge for me, I have made a lot of changes to my lifestyle in order to facilitate a healthy me and a healthy mini- me down the road. This article dealt specifically with conditions like mine and I was very pleased to discover that the changes I have made gradually over the last 4 years will greatly affect my odds of conception for the better. This article argues that protein from plant sources are better then meat sources. I'm a vegetarian, so yay for that! It argued that carbs from unrefined wheat are better, and I love my whole wheats now. It also argued for exercise and weight loss. Since I have lost a lot of weight and I am way more active then I was at 17 and I was very pleased to read that. The article also argued for yogurt. I hate yogurt but I'm really going to try to add it into my diet, 1) because I'm lactose intolerant and yogurt is a dairy that won't upset my stomach, 2) yogurt is good for you, and I know that. So if I can start drinking soy milk then I surely can learn to like yogurt. As long as I think of it as good for my future kids then I can do it. That's how I get my lazy bum running and it's pretty much all I think about when grocery shopping. The kids I don't have are really my biggest motivators.

2 Remarks:

Sarah Eve said...

Good for you! I love that you are motivated by your future children. It really is the sweetest. Truth is being a mommy starts now, not just when the child arrives. You've beautifully grasped that concept :-)

littlecalder said...

aha! i'll turn you into a yogurt fiend yet!

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010