14 June 2008

I broke down...


...and went on a quest to get a copy of Persuasion with Amanda Root as Anne Eliot. I found it at Barnes and Noble on sale for $10 (score). Now, it is no secret that I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan, (huge is putting it lightly) but after checking this movie out from my local library I have watched it 4 times. 4. I have an inkling that once I finish writing this I'm going to watch it again. That would make 2 times today. Why am I so obsessed with this movie? Because it is so brilliant, poignant, and down right captivating. When I read the book I read and re-read Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne, over and over and over again. The first time I read it I cried because it was so brilliantly written and is one of the great, great, moments in the story and the language is SO beautiful and Wentworth parallels Anne's conversation with Captain Harvel perfectly! Persuasion might be over-taking Pride and Prejudice in my line-up of best Austen novel... Heck, they're all amazing (however I do have some doubts about Mansfield Park). That letter is just so beautiful I have to find it and share it on here. Enjoy:
I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means
as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half
hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone
for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own,
than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say
that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death.
I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and
resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought
me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. - Have you not seen
this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? - I had not waited
even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you
must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant
hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I
can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others.
- Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do
believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe
it to be most fervent, most undeviating in

F.W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow
your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look will be enough to decide
whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.


I'm in raptures...

0 Remarks:

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010