09 September 2010

Anniversary Trip

Last Thursday I celebrated 3 years with my amazing Mr. S.  It really doesn't seem like we've been together that long, but I guess that's a good thing!

We spent the labor day weekend in Georgetown and it was so nice to get away from things for a while.  I actually took time off from work and the grandparents watched the dog. (Please don't pass out from the shock of it all).

Now, you may be asking why we got a hotel 45 minutes from our house.  Yeah, it's 45 minutes, but it's a completely different world in the District than in the suburbs we roll around in.

We took the metro in Friday night and after we checked into our hotel, that was directly on M St, we went to an Italian restaurant called Paper Moon.  I really loved the atmosphere!  Restaurants in Georgetown are really neat because the whole windowed-fronts of the buildings fold open so that you're inside and outside at the same time.  It's a great way to people-watch.  The food was good.  I got a spinach ravioli that was a normal portion size (but we still paid like $15 for it).  We stopped at Häagen-Dazs on the way back to the hotel.  They had a guy out front who was giving away free samples and he was so entertaining.  He yelled "ice cream!" in as many different voices as he could come up with.  Oh, he made me laugh!  The best part was that I actually think he loved his job.

Saturday we spent the day in the Capital area.  I got a guide book from Barnes & Noble that had a few sites in it we wanted to check out.  I tried to find some things that weren't super touristy.  First we took the metro redline to Friendship-Heights to buy S some shoes.  For some reason he didn't pack walking shoes for this trip...I dunno either.  Then we went to Dupont circle to get Krispy Creme donuts.  I had seen the donut shop when I was driving to the zoo the weekend before and I wanted breakfast.  We ate our delicious goodies in the park by the fountain directly in the middle of Dupont circle.  It was so refreshing to sit with my honey on a bench and just be.  The squirrels and birds were delightfully entertaining and the transvestites and street performers were nothing but memorable.

After our snack, we hopped on the metro again and headed to Eastern Market, a cute little open air market that sells a lot of different things.  The building in the center houses a few delis with some questionable meats and seafood items.  From Eastern Market you can see the capital building, so we hoofed it to the top of the mall when we were finished browsing the market. 

We stopped at the Library of Congress which literally took my breath away!  The great writers of all time are featured in the architecture and there are so many things hidden away and tucked into little tiny spaces.  Right in the center is a huge painting of Minerva, my homegirl, and it made me feel right at home.  The main reading room is only accessible if you have permission to research there, which was disappointing, but you still get to peak in and see what it looks like from behind a huge glass wall.  What made it the best part of the trip was the gift shop!  Where else can you get a Jane Austen action-figure complete with writing desk?

The National Botanical gardens was alright.  It wasn't what I was expecting, but it would be a great hang-out spot during the winter.  After all the walking we did, we were ready to head back to Georgetown. Dinner was just Unos, but it was still good after a long day.  I had a margarita that was pretty delicious.

Sunday was low-key.  We walked to Dumbarton Oaks which took us through the residential area of Georgetown.  I love to look at old houses and I can really be somewhat of a creeper., but it's all good.  We got to the gardens an hour or so before they even opened.  There wasn't really anything to do until they opened, so we decided to come back another time.  I'm really interested to see the gardens since the guidebook listed it as one of the most romantic sites of the city.  The walk was pretty so no complaints.

Then there was the shopping on M St.  Whenever I go into an Anthropologie I'm going to just let them hold me down, beat me, and take all my money.  $300 later I came out with a few nice things.

We found a great cupcake place called Baked and Wired that had an indie vibe to it.  The cupcakes were probably better than Georgetown Cupcakes.  We didn't make it in GC since that place always has a line!  B&W cupcakes were at least made with good ingredients and they were huge!  Yums!

The worst part of the trip was that I had my camera the whole time and I never took a single picture with it.  I guess I was enjoying myself too much!


0 Remarks:

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010