13 May 2010

You Capture: Yellow

I've come to the conclusion that yellow and I don't get along.  The You Capture challenge Beth at ishouldbefoldinglaundry.com came up with this week was yellow and I have to let you know that I don't own any yellow because I look horrible in it and I don't decorate with it because it just doesn't work for me. My decorating color concept is, essentially, if I can't wear it, I shouldn't decorate with it.

I spent the entire week walking around thinking "just don't take a picture of a school bus"..."just don't take a picture of a school bus."  I'm pleased-as-punch to say that I succeeded by refusing the flirtacious glances of the big, yellow, bee-looking buses.  There was a brief affair with a little, yellow harlot-of-a-butterdish at Anthropologie.  I almost bought just to have something to photograph, but I decided it would be a waste of money since I don't really eat butter...and I shouldn't start eating it.

What I did come up with for You Capture resulted from a cloudy trip to the National Zoo on my birthday this Tuesday.  So here you go, some yellow mixed in with a lot of city shots (I'm saving the animal shots for next weeks Depth of Focus challenge):

In the DC area, the concept of yellow is basically "Danger, Will Robinson" aka: don't step here, don't fall down here, don't cross here, basically: don't be anywhere near here.  How depressing!  Especially when yellow really is such a fun, spastic, and lighthearted color.


 
I'm never more at home than when I'm in chucks and jeans.  I hope you feel the same.  Notice the "please don't fall down the escalator" yellow.

 

You can also catch glimpses of some entertaining defacement of public property. Definitely yellow and cheery.  It made me giggle.  The picture to the right is the inside of an escalator.  I've never seen the inside bits of an escalator before, and in case you haven't either...now you have.  There was also a man sitting in it.  Sometimes I wonder how you get a job like that?

 
The stripes were on a huge "please don't fall in the gaping and exposed escalator" barrier. I know, lots of dark pictures; sorry. I was underground.

 
This one I purposely made darker so that the yellow stood out more.

 

And finally, if you look to the lower left you will see a yellow baby bottle that was thrown across the metro tracks...that kid had quite a throw. It's a little evidence that life goes on...

The most "yellow" I experienced during the day was the joy of the kids at the zoo and their little phrases of pure sunshine. My favorites:

"They look just like big toys." 

"Why do they only have one hippo!" (A valid exclamation, I must admit.  You can't possibly play very hungry hippos with a singular hippo: obviously.)

"Mom!  I want to see the tigers again" 

"Oh, it smells, it really smells" to which the mother could only reply "I know the horses smell, honey, I know"

Now, please go check out Beth's post and all the other participants too!  Ignore my futile attempt at yellow, it was a hard one.




Photobucket

4 Remarks:

Bec said...

Very artsy!!! Love the blue shoes ;)

- said...

This is the first time I'm visiting your lovely blog. I've joined the You Capture by accident :) and love it already.

Your photos are amazing. And I feel the same about yellow.

Unknown said...

Wow. You got a lot of unexpected yellow color pops. I love your sneakers! And I love that you searched for it and found it all over! : )

Caitlin said...

I love it! Btw, I gave you an award on my blog! :) You happen to be my favorite blog to stalk.

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010