06 May 2010

Silhouettes: Just A Phase?

I don't think so, and I'm pretty sure that Jane Austen would agree with me.

When we first moved into the new house, I took the opportunity to sketch our silhouettes.  By using an old lamp, paper taped to the wall and a pencil, we each took turns tracing eachother's profiles.  Once we had the outlines, I used them as stencils on black poster board.  Throw them in some fancy frames and you end up with this:

A modern, yet classic family heirloom!  They'll be a great way to remember our first home!  Steven always says he's going to make them face different directions the next time we have a big fight.  I'm happy to say we haven't had to try this out.

Once I get going on something I just don't stop, do I?  I got these silhouettes to go in the half-bath downstairs:


I painted it this crazy green and put up a black mirror to replace the run-of-the-mill mirror the house came with.  So far, Jane Austen's silhouette is the only one residing in there.  I'm trying to build more of a collection than these two, but the antique malls around here are very so-so.  It looks like I might have to venture to Alexandria or parts of Maryland for good antiques.

If any silhouettes cross your path, snatch them up and send them my way!

2 Remarks:

Caitlin said...

Loves it. I'm still trying to figure out what our "home style" is. I love yours though!

Ms.Domestique said...

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be easier to figure out once you don't have to worry about what can be shipped to Hawaii. That must be such a pain!

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010