31 October 2008

Stocking Hung By the Chimney With Care

My grandmother, and crafting hero, had a tradition where she made everyone in the family a stocking. When she was still well the whole family met up at her house for a huge Christmas celebration. Aunts and uncles and brothers and sisters and cousins that I haven't seen in years used to come. Basically, it was my favorite time of year and my Maw-Maw is the reason I love-love-love the holidays so much.

This year I'm making Steven and myself family stockings to start our own tradition. For mine I've drawn inspiration from a stocking at work that has ruffles on the front. I got some fun quilting fabrics to make my ruffles out of. I think it's going to be pretty precious. I'm going to give Steven some felt and beaded snowflakes I think. His vote was for something from Portal his favorite video game right now. I've vetoed that.

3 Remarks:

littlecalder said...

i can't wait to see them finished!

Sarah Eve said...

My Mom made all of us our own stockings. She used simple white fabric and used red and green to zig zag the seam. Then she added our name in paint and a decorative element. My stocking has a star on it. Mom's was a bell. My Dad's has Santa. I think Naomi has an angel, Josh's was a snowman, and James has a candy cane on his stocking.

The PettiCoat Pirate said...

I've made our family stockings...
Tylers was 1st - since he was born on Christmas, his has Christmas ornaments all over it and a bell sewn on, his name is made with yarn that I stitched on, somehow, it would've been easier to glue it on, but that's not how I roll.

Doug's was next - his has fish all over it and his name is made out of some type of metal loop thingie that has to do with fishing, I sewed those crazy things on too. I also added a cool fly fishing thingie that I cut the hook off of.

Wow, then I actually made one for myself - I was all into collection angels at the time so mine is angel print and my name is made with ribbon...sewn on ;)

Last is Lily - Hers is made with a piece of fabulous white fabric with a chenile santa! Honestly, I don't think her name is on hers, I just realized that. So, this year I will have to add it cause I'm feeling all freaked out and guilty.

Oh, JoeJoe and Chester (our beagles) have little mitten stockings. They actually came before Lily.

So that reminds me, you'll need to make one for your kitty. Oh, and one for Stevens kitty too.

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010