14 October 2008

Names!


We all know I've been obsessed with names since I was a kid, but it has been super bad lately since I know 3 people with buns in the oven. I've even loaned out my babybook, sad times. So I thought I'd put my favorite names out there for judgement.

Girls:
Sophie- means wisdom so it's a way to pass my last name along covertly. Plus my best friend since I was in the 2nd grade is named Sonja and her name comes from the same Greek origin. And I just finished Tom Jones and the heroine is named Sophia and she is super fabulous!
Iris- I'm a sucker for flower names. Just a down right sucker. This is also from Greek mythology. I'm a sucker for that too.
Magdalena- Lena is an old family name on my Mom's side. Basically it's the only cool name I've got to work with. My first babysitter/sweetest lady ever was named Magdalene. And I like Magda on its own too.
Ainsley- pronounced "Anneslee." Oddly, I had a friend named this when I was like 2, but I threw this name out there for my friend Amy and I was like...you know...that's a precious name.
Daphne- also a name I threw out there for Amy. I love the classical names. I still want Ames to uses this name though. It's the best so far.
Antigone- Every one thinks I'm nuts for liking this name. And everyone says that everyone will just think of the agony of Freshman English. Ok... but I do like my English. However I love what it means: Against the previous generation. I love that meaning. Got to instill that rebellious spirit early. ;)
Jane- As in Jane Austen. I really like the combo of Penelope Jane (that's what I secretly call Steven's cat) cause then it's like Penny Lane only Penny Jane...got to get a Beatles tribute in there somehow...laughs.

Boys:
Levin- the only name Steven has actually liked so far. I tend to throw names at him a lot. Bad habit of mine. It's originally from Anna Karenina the novel by Tolstoy. Levin was my favorite character because he was hardworking, trustworthy, and ethical and valued all types of people.
Bennet- as in the Bennet family in Pride and Prejudice and as in Elizabeth Bennet.
Morris- it's a family name on my dad's side (great-grandfather). It's also my brother's middle name. Dad would get a huge kick out of it. In fact, I think it would probably cause the 3rd time I've ever seen my dad cry. Ever.


Basically: I'm a dork-face.

2 Remarks:

littlecalder said...

laughs, that's ok, you're a dork-face in the good way.

Anonymous said...

I like those names. All unique instead of over used. Examples of over used names: Sarah, Joshua, James, and Joe. And you see why the J names are banned from my future children. My little bro Jeff (James' best man at the wedding) is convinced that I'll give in and name a son Jeffery James... which is the same name Jeff has, obviously would include my little brother's name, and oddly enough my husband's initials spell Jef so it'd be after him too. But NO, it's not happening! We're going to name our first son Demetrius. Though yes, that will mean that my first born son will be named after a cat, lol!

Sorry for my ramblings... names are such a fun topic!

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010