29 January 2009

Old School Poem...no, really.

My friend Dianna requested to see some of my creative writing. I've never been one for the creative vein, but I am a sick person who deep down loves poetry and sonnets.

I wrote the following poem for my high school senior English class sonnet competition. It won 2nd place. I think it didn't get first because no one knew what was going on. I used a Victorian flower book to write this poem. All the flowers mean specific things and add to the mood and meaning of the poem. I still wouldn't expect my peers to get that. Laughs. So yeah, embarrassing poem of my youth, take one:




Anemone
"The Language of Flowers"

One stone-walled garden I stumbled upon.
The gate adorned with roses purest white.
Ominous oleanders o'er the lawn,
Exotic green labyrinths lured my sight.

Within, cold, stone faces stared down the path.
Concealed in the maze, a spark'ling fount stood.
Peering in the pool, youth drowned in the bath.
Through the iron-gate, return I ne'er would.

Beyond the gate, a willow held a swing.
On the hills beyond, passion flowers splayed.
And in lush lilies, like bells all twink'ling,
I sought to rest my weary body's pain.

I longed to brush the lilies' fair petals.
But, was embraced by dark, bitter nettles.

*written with the help on my soul-friend Sonia who spent a whole day helping me learn iambic pentameter. Gosh I miss her being around.

3 Remarks:

Tigergoose said...

Thank you for sharing! I love it! Especially the willow tree holding the swing line.. I love willow trees. That was the first tree I ever learned about. My Grampa taught me in New York on a walk when I was probably three or so. Brought back sweet memories :) Isn't that cool how writing and photos do that? You wrote about flowers (and deeper meanings I'm sure) but I came out with a beautiful image of a garden, but also the memory I have of my Grampa and I. It's extra sweet because he was sick with cancer at the time and I think that was his good summer.

WHOA long comment. Apologies!!

Ms.Domestique said...

Willows are really important to me too. In the house where I grew up my mom planted a baby weeping willow and now that thing is still there and is like 40 ft plus. It was so big it used to look like it was wrapping around our house. our second house did not have one, but when we moved again I made mom plant another one.

I'm of the opinion that weeping willows should always be around my house. :D

And that climbing sweet autumn should always be around the entry way. I love plants. My parents used to have a greenhouse and gardening is pretty much the only activity my mom and I can do together without killing one another.

Anonymous said...

It should've won first place. Why? It's clearly symbolic of graduating and entering the cold and dreary world (though perhaps that's why the put it as second because same lame hopeful poem probably caught their eye)... whether that's what you meant it to say or not, that's how it's reading. However, I do think that metaphore is more applicable to graduating college than high school. I'm SURE you agree with that ;-)

Overall, it's lovly :-)

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010