15 January 2009

New Project...well sort of...and shocking events.

Today I decided that it was time to do something about my windows. In the winter, windows are just a simple way for energy to escape. Since today was a warm 11 degrees here in Blacksburg and my last energy bill was $89 to heat a one bedroom apartment the size of a shoebox, I made a trek to Lowe's and picked up clear plastic and some tape. The concept is kind of like a greenhouse effect. It seals up the air from getting in and going out and the plastic heats up with sunlight. My dad used to do this to the windows in the garage. Who knows how well it works, but it gives me some piece of mind that I'm at least trying to save some energy and some pennies. You know, added to the fact that I don't keep anything plugged in unless I'm using it. That includes my TV, microwave, computer, lights, internet. I mean, I don't keep anything on. It drives Steven nuts. Laughs. The $89 comes from my prehistoric heater. If the weather was nice enough to just open my windows my bill would only be $15 a month.

Anywho! The real drama and reason for this post...as I was putting up this plastic on my windows...I realized that there was ice...on the INSIDE of my window all around my windows because condensation had FROZEN, yes FROZEN on the inside of my windows.

Maybe with all the money I save I can retire in Mexico one day. Si!



1 Remarks:

Sarah Eve said...

But then you'd spend a fortune on air conditioning in Mexico ;-) I know, you're just making a point. But still... being just 6 hours from Mexico those summer electricity bills are scary!

Good for you making the effort to save some electricity! I hope it works.

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010