11 May 2011

The Human Pincushion

Monday I got my allergy test done!  I'm so relieved to get that over with.  Now I know what bothers me and I can avoid it.  Apparently, a lot of things bother me because I had a pretty large reaction.  I was tested for a total of 36 things!

Don't worry, I took pictures! (I edited them with a cross process so that you can really see how many places I reacted):


The verdict?
  •  CATS!  
Basically, they told me I was allergic to my children.  The doctor didn't mention anything about getting rid of the cats, but he did say they are not allowed in our bedroom anymore...that's the thing that saddens me the most because bedtime is prime cuddle time and at least one of them almost always sleeps with me. :(  Oliver has had a hard time with this because we have cuddled every morning after the alarm goes off since he was a little kitten.  I also have to make sure I wash my hands whenever I touch them.  I knew they were out to kill me, but I didn't know they'd resort to biological warfare...geez!
  • Feathers
  • Dust
  • Dustmites
I have to cover all of our bedding in special protective covers and wash the sheets in ultra hot water at the very least once a week.  I'm so not excited about more laundry, but I think a lot of my headaches/migraines will go away.  I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond right after work (coupon in hand) to get a mattress cover and multiple pillow covers since Mr. S and I swap pillows unintentionally.  So far, I think it's working!  S thinks our bed feels like a hospital bed, but I'm sure that will go away once we wear in the covers.  I'm trying not to inconvenience him too much...I'm also trying to con him into hardwood floors in the basement since I have medical proof for my headaches every time I go down there...
  • Trees
  • Molds
  • Grass
  • Ragweed
The doctor gave me some bangin' nasal spray that has almost eliminated my sinus pressure.  For the molds and pollens I've decided to take allergy shots in the hope that one day I won't have issues any more.  It's going to be expensive at first, but as it stands now, I spend about $300 a year on allergy meds.  So if I'm allergy free for the next 50 years that's a savings of $15,000.  Plus my insurance is going to pay for 90% of the shots.  Score!

I really hate taking the over the counter meds because they really dehydrate me and I have to confirm twice a month with the feds that I don't have a meth lab in my kitchen.  That just makes me feel skeevy.

I actually got pretty upset at the doctor's office when they went over how many different things I was allergic to.  My initial reaction was to sucker-punch both of my parents in the face for negligent parenting because they never got me tested and for looking at me like I had 3 heads every time I mentioned allergy testing growing up.  Then I realized this was just more of the same from them and that I've done so many positive things for myself since I've become an adult that I'm proud of me.

Oh!  By the way, it's my birthday!

0 Remarks:

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010