05 February 2011

Convalescent Crafting

I saw this sign for the laundry room on Make it-Love it and I said to myself...wait...the company they're talking about sells kits you use to make these?  Really?  A kit?  Lame!

Keeping with the theme of organizing/decorating my closets, I decided I needed to make one of these for myself...without a mamsey pamsey pre-drilled kit.

Since I'm feeling under the weather for the 3rd time in just 4 weeks, I decided there was no time like the present to work on this. I trekked to Michael's and wandered around aimlessly trying to find an associate.  Seriously, does anyone work there?  I was having a hard time finding vinyl that you could print on (for the lettering).  I thought this would be all the rage in scrapbooking, but I guess I was wrong.  I was told to go to a fabric store.  That didn't fly since I was barely able to complete my mission at Michael's without infecting the entire district, so I substituted sticker letters.  Don't judge me.

Let's get to the how-to of it all.  I did the entire thing from scratch in 30 minutes (they estimated 45 for the kit) and in the comfort of my bed.

You'll need: a plaque, a piece of scrapbooking paper (I went with a sunshine yellow), mod podge, a brush, twine, letters, a drill, and a pen.
I recommend you use sand paper to file the edges down a bit, especially if you cut the paper just a little too wide.  Also, use a little mod podge to seal down the edges.
I used a piece of paper as a straight edge so that my letters didn't turn out wonky.
Drilling was easy, but if you're using wide twine you'll need to use a larger drill-bit. And of course if the holes don't line up that adds to the charm!

Not too shabby(chic), eh?  I really wish I could have gotten the vinyl to do the lettering because then I could have gotten a really cute font on there, but since this is going in a closet, I'm not really that worried about it, but if I ever find the correct materials I don't think it would be hard to upgrade.

0 Remarks:

Post a Comment

I'm diggin' the lovin' keep it comin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 
Copyright © Ms. Domestique 2010